Quality Public Education
Quality Public Education (1990)
Women’s League for Conservative Judaism is aware that education is central to preparing our citizens for effective participation in the economic, social and political life of the nation. The national drop-out rate has escalated; illiteracy is a serious problem even among high school graduates. There is a critical gap between public education and America’s capacity to compete in the world market. Therefore, Women’s League for Conservative Judaism supports:
- A strong commitment to quality education for all.
- Maintaining high standards for students and educators.
- Increased preparation of students for the demands of the 21st century.
- Safe and healthful environment in the schools conducive to learning.
- Preparing students to function as citizens of this country with full knowledge of their rights and responsibilities.
- Adequate funding for school buildings, equipment, maintenance and staff.
- Competitive salary scale for educators and school support staff commensurate with the importance of their profession.
- Outreach to parents to encourage involvement in the education of their children.
- Participation of the business community in providing supplementary funding, management expertise, work-study programs, employment opportunities, etc.